Thursday, March 15, 2007

Four Ways to Get a Great Logo on the Cheap

As I launch more and more Web sites, I'm starting to care a bit about making them look nice. Since my artistic skills are about on par with those of my two year old, I've started to enlist professional help. Upon learning that some of the designers I know start at $5,000 for these projects, I knew it was time to get creative.

Here are the best resources that I found:

LogoMaker is a neat online service that gives you tools to do it yourself. Much easier and higher quality than, say, Microsoft Clip Art, but obviously tough to come up with something that's completely original looking. Still, it's fast, you can play with it for free, and if you like your creation, it's yours for only $49.

Rent-a-Coder is hands-down the most effective marketplace for small, outsourced projects. I absolutely love it and have gotten to the point I'll post projects that take 30 minutes and cost five bucks. The key to success with RAC is that you need to be crystal clear in communicating what you want, and follow up regularly. Even though your coder may be half a world away, you still need to manage them as you would any other contractor. Rates will probably be between $10 and $100, depending upon the quality that you are looking for and you can get something workable in as little as two days.

Digital Point is a huge and generally good quality forum for Web marketers. The Contest directory is a fantastic and fun place to solicit designs from multiple designers. Again, you need to be clear about what you want and provide feedback as the designs come in to help guide direction. Prize money of $100 usually draws a good number of entrants, and I find that a $10 consolation prize really gets boosts participation. One caveat: since the designers don't know if they will get paid, it can be challenging to manage them once you get down to those detailed refinements.

LogoWorks leads the pack in terms of professionalism. They are all about logos (and other designs) and structure their process in the same way that an advertising agency does. Very best tools for management and feedback available online, which are really critical if you are going for a higher quailty design. They tap 2 or more designers to provide unique comps to you, then you pick the one you like and work with its designer on revisions. LogoWorks is the priciest of the bunch, starting at $250 and climbing from there as you include more designers and design optoins.

10 Comments:

At 12:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great advice, I've also used oDesk for logo creation, similar to rent-a-coder.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger def47 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea, good advices.. I never knew about rent-a-coder, I'll look into that

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Legit Freebies Guy said...

I've only really used RAC, and made a good sum from there in my teens.

 
At 2:38 AM, Anonymous logon68 said...

great advice

 
At 5:06 AM, Blogger symen said...

Yea, good advices.. I never knew about rent-a-coder, I'll look into that, yeah!! its a good article,landing page design

 
At 11:18 PM, Anonymous Corporate Logo Design said...

wow i like this interesting blog so cool thanks for posting and i will share this to my friends.well this blog sayin keep up your dream and lets make that together..thanks again for posting..what a great blog.

 
At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Houston Home Security said...

Write more, that's all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point. You clearly know what you're talking about, why throw away your intelligence on just posting videos to your blog when you could be giving us something enlightening to read?

 
At 11:09 PM, Anonymous Home Security said...

I can see that you are spending a lot of effort into your website!I am deeply in love with every single piece of information you post here (there are not many quality blogs left.By the way if you are looking for link exchange with quality Estate Agents Directory,please drop an email-I will be glad to add your link.

 
At 4:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think that it's better to hire a professional translator than to use the online one. There are enough job boards nowadays where you can find a lot of freelancers in need of a project to work on. I recommend this one: https://www.xplace.com/ XPlace. There are a lot of talented freelance experts and it is commission-free.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home